FireDrum’s Holiday Email Marketing Guide & Tips for 2017
The holiday countdown has started! If you’re a retailer or business owner, you need to complete creating scheduling your holiday campaigns before Thanksgiving. After all, these major holidays and known saving celebrations are the most profitable time of the year. Use our free holiday sending guide as a calendar, tip sheet, and promotion picker.
Average Holiday Spending & Your Market Share
Holiday decorations start going up in November and so do holiday purchases. If you haven’t started advertising holiday savings, sending newsletters, and posting social media messages by this time, you’ve lost a major part of your market share. Don’t miss out on any more money-making opportunities! Start configuring your holiday campaigns and personalizing it for each segment of your subscriber list. As we review in our free holiday email marketing guide, Black Friday is the most profitable holiday (for nearly all retail industries). Follow our sending calendar to increase sales and engagement. Even with 200 subscribers, you have the potential of earning $7000 through email marketing alone. – Download our Holiday Email Marketing Guide
Personalizing Your Campaigns
To get the most bank out of your advertising buck, it’s important that you segment your lists BEFORE sending holiday campaigns. You don’t want to be sending advertisements about skis on sale to a group of Arizonans, do you? Take the time to separate your subscribers by location, gender, previous purchases, engagement, and interests. Don’t over complicate it though. You can keep the categories broad while still making each email personal.
Once you’ve finished segmenting your contacts, start building emails that would appeal to each group. Personalize the message by addressing them by name (thank you for making that possible, merge tags!) If you’re featuring a specific product, don’t forget to add similar products that they may like (this would be the “recommended for you” section that we see while browsing Amazon and other sites). Highlighting a discount or coupon? Include an additional discount for a product they’ve shown interest in before. To stand out in each inbox, you must be creative with these emails.
We understand that each business is unique and may not follow each of these segment categories, but that doesn’t mean that you should ignore this segmentation and personalization step. Take the time to evaluate your audience and make strategic decisions based on their behavior.
Sending the Perfect Holiday Email
Stuck on what to send? Need subject line ideas for the holidays? We’re here to help! Our holiday email marketing guide and this step-by-step blog are meant to serve as your outline. If you find that this doesn’t fit your business’s goals or offerings, contact one of our email marketing specialists. We’ll provide our expert advice and help create a profitable campaign for you.
To make a sale, people need to be told what’s best for them – don’t just throw a bunch of products together and call it good. In an email, you can create the start of a very solid sales funnel.
Winter Wonderland Earring and Necklace Kit
- Brainstorm an email focused on a specific holiday (like Black Friday). Saying that your discount is good from November to January eliminates the urgency to make a sale and can be less enticing to redeem.
- Choose the category or list you’ll be sending this email to. We highly recommend creating unique emails for each member category you have. For this example, we’re going to choose our “engaged contacts in Arizona” list.
- Determine your featured product(s), a goal, and a KPI for this email. Since we’re an imaginary jewelry store, we’re going to feature our winter-themed earring and necklace kit. It’s our goal to lead people to the purchase page for this product, and our KPI will be selling the units to 2.5% of all click-throughs. This “engaged contacts in Arizona” has a total of 670 subscribers. If 50% of people opened this email, we would hopefully sell 8 – 9 kits.
- strong>Build your email. Choose a template from FireDrum’s free template library or start from scratch. The overall look and design is up to you! Depending on what you decided in step 3, you may want to organize your email in a columned fashion.
- Add descriptive and engaging content. We highly recommend adding content describing each product/featured service. Try not to write paragraphs, but give users enough information to understand what the product is and why they need it. Since we’re advertising our winter-themed kit, we may write something like:
- Add more CTA’s (call to actions).Give your subscribers things to click on and explore. Featuring one product or one coupon isn’t bad, but you’ll have higher click through and engagement rates by adding more CTA’s. We suggest adding “recommend for you” products below our main featured product/service. Since this list is going to residents in Arizona, we might want to include our imaginary cactus necklace product and Arizona-state shaped earrings.
- Check your sales funnel from start to finish. You won’t make any sales if your sales funnel is broken. Before sending your campaign, send yourself a test draft and go through the process of buying what you’re advertising. Does the featured product on your email include a “buy now” or “learn more link?” Does the button lead you to the right page on your website? Once you get there, is the “buy now” button clearly noted?
- Schedule to send!
The perfect gift for the woman you love. Our earrings and necklaces are made of sterling silver and both include a 1.00ct diamond.
Happy holiday email sending, email marketers!
Not sure where to start? Talk to our email marketing specalists,today. We help companies create engaging and effective newsletters.